Who We Are
Established in 2004, we are the non-profit education and research arm of The Transplant Foundation, a non-profit charitable organization supporting the objectives of Gift of Life Donor Program (GLDP) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Through our affiliation with GLDP, one of the most experienced OPOs in the nation, the Institute has the unique opportunity to provide learners with real-world and real-time instruction.
Since our inception, we have:
- Facilitated over 350 workshops with 58 OPOs and multiple tissue banks
- Trained over 7,500 donation professionals worldwide
- Hosted transplant and donation experts from over 35 countries, including Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, India, Iran, Japan, Netherlands, the Philippines, and Spain
- Co-sponsored and member of planning committee of the Transplant Donation Global Leadership Symposium.
Our approach to training and education incorporates proven didactic instruction and experiential learning in a simulated environment, along with intensive skill building and coaching to ensure a strong knowledge base and skilled proficiency upon completion. Our programs incorporate competency testing, which is designed to produce results.
All trainings include problem-based learning and skills practice sessions utilizing reality-based hospital and clinical scenarios.
All trainings include problem-based learning and skills practice sessions utilizing reality-based hospital and clinical scenarios. This provides a learning environment in which professionals can practice and adopt new skills and formulate solutions to existing practical problems.
This environment accelerates the learning process for the OPO professional by:
- Providing a multidimensional approach to teach behaviors, skills, and strategies that get results.
- Preparing and equipping learners by empowering them with the knowledge and skills needed to build relationships and sustain results.
- Including role-playing and intensive skill building, guiding the learner on how to respond effectively to complex situations under a variety of circumstances.
Gift of Life Institute aspires to increase organ and tissue donation rates worldwide by providing a center of expertise for training, education, and research for donation professionals.
Gift of Life Institute aims to increase organ and tissue donation rates by providing the most innovative, evidence-based training and consulting services required to enhance the skills, expertise, and practices of donation professionals worldwide.